Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Snoop D-O- (double) G


Whose Cordozar Calvin Broadus? Oh, that's just Snoop Dogg. Bet you didn't know that... No, of course you didn't. You probably know him as Snoop, Snoop Doggy Dog, Snoopizzle.. whatever name it all boils down to the same person. The same skinny rapper who has dodged bullets to be with us today. And for that I am thankful.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend hip hop is my number one choice for car ambience, but when Snoop slithered on stage last Saturday at the Guvernment, I was as excited as the time I got my first Hootie and the Blowfish cd. (What?? Don't judge me, Hootie had some one hit wonders)

When I walked in on Saturday night, I was highly surprised and convinced the Doggy was not going to show. Why would he? There was a small crowd of maybe 100 people wearing collared shirts or surfer shorts heavy on pockets. I wouldn't play, I would put on my Hootie cd.

Snoop Dog, who actually does resemble a doberman, glided on stage and busted into his killer old tracks immediately. Blinged out mic, slits for eyes and a tightly rolled up joint side stage (this is just mere speculation), Snoop Dogg dropped it like it's hot for close to two hours.

It was a clear representation of talent and showmanship. His bouncers never left his side, and had faces that looked carved in stone. He never actually puffed on a J, much to my amazement, but was sure to talk about the importance of canabis in your everyday life all in between P-I-M-P and Tupac throwbacks. I didn't know him and Tupac were so close, I must've missed that Much More Music documentary.

The best part? Well, looking back it must have been when he did a version of Cyrus' Jump Around, didn't know my Keds had such a bounce to them.

Snoop Dogg, you might not be the cutest rapper around, but you still got swagger, style and a vibe. Oh, you 38 year old Dog Boss, we still dig your dance-able tracks, the lyrics that are burnt in my brain and take me back to high school, the over sized shirts on your frail frame and your words of advice:

"Three things you should do every morning when you wake up: brush your teeth, thank God you made it to another day, and smooooooke weeeeed everrrrydaaaaay".



No comments:

Post a Comment